Artistic talents and Dance as a healing art
The artist in us
What leads someone to pursue an artistic profession? Specifically Dance.
All of us have some latent hobby or pursuit which we try to keep alive. At best pursuing it outside our primary work & family responsibilities.
In many cases, this gets buried under the demands of daily life.
Yet, we find people who have somehow kept the flame alive. In some cases their life direction changes as they start to (re)discover their interests and hobbies.
Finally, there are those, who have developed and pursued their artistic talent in a professional manner. Be it dance, acting, singing, sports or any other.
Does Jyotish or Vedic Astrology indicate potential of such experiences coming about in an individual’s life. Every chart is unique.
Let us try and find out.
Using dance as a way to heal people
Example : Daria Halprin
Daria Halprin is an American author and former actress known primarily for her naturalistic performances in three films of the late 1960s and early 1970s and as Founding Director of Tamalpa Institute. (Bio). She is somtaic/ expressive arts therapist who uses dance as a way of healing. She is a noted dance teacher too.
Below is the birth chart from Astrodatabank.
Disclaimer. The birth chart is from a public source and hence not completely verified.
Does the chart show inherent potential – Let us take a look at the main D1 birth chart:
Static potential in the birth chart that indicates dance as a talent
Indications of Artistic Pursuits
Let us consider the following parameters:
- Natural Karakas or significators of artistic interests – Primarily Venus, however it can be any planet strong in the chart. The significations of the particular planet manifest.
- The 1st house or Lagna – Lagna and Lagna lord form the pillar of the chart and determine one of the focus areas for a person.
- The 3rd house – This house does denotes self efforts, courage and artistic or athletics skills. It shows how much a person is able to apply efforts to harness inborn talents.
- The 5th house – This house denotes ability to create things.
- The 12th house – This house is the final moksha house and denotes isolated places and in some cases foreign connections. It can also mean hidden creative pursuits.
From the Birth Lagna/Ascendant
- The Lagna lord is Mars and placed in Capricorn in the 10th house. Mars is exalted and forms a Ruchaka Yoga (a Mahapurush Yoga). This does not repeat from the Chandra Lagna.
- The Lagna lord in the 10th house suggests focus on one’s activity or work in the world. Mars as the 8th lord in the 10th house denotes a career related to alternative mystical subjects.
- Concentration of planets in the 9th house of Higher Learning, Religion or Classical studies. Sagittarius as the sign in the 9th house also reinforces this energy.
- 10th ruler of career, Saturn is in the 5th house of creativity and education forming both Raja and Dhana Yoga.
- Raja Yogas – Moon, Sun and Jupiter combine in the 9th house giving multiple Raja Yogas which give worldy success. These also form Dhana Yogas for wealth.
- 2nd and 3rd houses gain strength – Mercury and Venus aspect back to their houses which strengthens these houses. 3rd house as we discussed is the house of artistic skills.
From the Chandra Lagna
From the Chandra Lagna, Sun, Jupiter and Mercury again combine to from multiple Raja Yogas with the lagna lord Jupiter strong in its own house of Sagittarius.
Jupiter forms a Hamsa Yoga (again a Mahapurush Yoga). Moon as the 8th lord in the Lagna again denotes a focus on mystical esoteric pursuits.
Interestingly, the 3rd house again gets strengthened with Saturn as the 3rd lord in the 9th house aspecting back to its own house.
Strength of Planets
On the positive side:
- Lagna Lord Mars is exalted in Capricorn. Mars is also Vargottama in the Navamsa repeating its presence in Capricorn.
- 2nd house of speech and 3rd house of artistic talents get strengthened with their lords aspecting back their own sign (Mercury and Venus)
- 9th house of learning and teaching gets strengthened with Jupiter being in its own sign.
- Sun gets a source of strength in the Navamsa (being in Leo).
- Jupiter is strongly placed in its own of Sagittarius.
- Rahu and Ketu are placed in their Mooltrikona signs (Gemini and Sagittarius) in the Navamsa
On the challenging side:
- Sun and Jupiter are closely conjunct less than 1 degree of separation. On the positive side this can strengthen Jupiter (Cazimi effect). On the challenging side, Jupiter can be considered combust too.
- Daria was born on a near new Moon and hence Moon can be considered to be weak in that sense. However it is with the benefic Jupiter, benefic Mercury and mild malefic Sun.
Timing of Events
Let us look at a few major milestones or events that took place:
- From 1968 – 1972: Halrpin appeared in three ground breaking alternative films. One of them being directed by an Italian director.
The period: Moon Major period (Mercury, Venus and Sun sub periods). As you can see the 3rd house of artistic skills gets activated with Moon and Mercury together as well as the Raja Yogas highlighted above.
- In the 1970s, Halprin developed an interest in creative arts therapy.
- In 1978, she and her mother Anna founded the Tamalpa Institute and developed the Halprin Process, an expressive arts approach for transformative healing that integrates movement/dance, visual arts, performance techniques and therapeutic practices.
The period: Major period of Mars (8th lord of alternate esoteric subjects in the 10th house).
1978 sub-period was (Either Venus,Sun or Moon). However it could likely be Moon as she founded an educational institute (9th house theme) with her Mother (Moon in the 9th house as also the 4th lord).
- She has authored books (1989, 1998 and 2002)
Of these Jupiter was the major period in the later two (Jupiter is with the 5th lord of authorship Sun and aspects the 5th house of writing and 3rd house of communication.
This by no means is a full analysis, however demonstrates how the activation of time periods can bring fruits of the birth chart towards artistic pursuits, higher learning and authorship.
Thank you for patiently reading and for your constructive feedback and insights.
Tagged Astrologer, Astrologers, Astrology, Jyotish, Vedic Astrology